Translate

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Pappy's Favorites Number 2: “The Phantastic Phantasmo”

Another look back at a favorite posting of mine, from 2012.

I am interested in artists who worked in the early days of comic books who had a substantial art career even before all-original comic books became popular. Among them was E. C. Stoner, an African-American artist who drew Phantasmo in Dell’s The Funnies. Stoner, born in 1897, was quite a bit older than many of his contemporaries in the comic book business. Like other African-Americans who worked in the industry, he drew white superheroes.

In re-reading my original posting I am a bit embarrassed by my exuberant description of how I saw the cover of Large Feature Comic #18 (1941). Sorry!

You can go to the post by clicking on the thumbnail below.


2 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

What a great feature! I'm really enjoying this guided tour through your archives. Thanks Pappy!

Pappy said...

Thanks, Cavin...It's also enjoyable for me. I had gotten so caught up in preparing my regular blog posts I didn't always get a chance to go back and read them again. I have four more prepared, one a week until the end of February.